"The reason we started Wayne Art Center is very simple.
There wasn't anything like it outside of town. We started it in a garage."
— Quita Brodhead, Artist, Founder (1901-2002)
The Wayne Art Center was established in 1930 as the first art center on the Main Line. The Center enrolled 119 children in art classes in a carriage house garage on Louella Avenue that first year. Over time, the Center added programs for adults, expanded its offerings for children, and moved to larger quarters as enrollment grew.
In 1955, the Wayne Art Center purchased property on Maplewood Avenue and built a modest two-room facility. By the 1980's, the Center had outgrown this facility too. A major capital campaign in the early 1990's allowed the Center to expand to a layout, which included five art studios, an exhibition gallery, a gallery shop, additional office space and an enlarged parking lot.
In 2003, the Wayne Art Center embarked on a four phase, $4.8 million expansion project which more than doubled the center's square footage; and included renovating and expanding studio space, adding a second Exhibition Gallery, and a new gallery shop, as well as acoustically designed music studios and expanded administrative space. In 2008, the creation of an attractive and fully equipped culinary arts studio was made possible through the generosity of several local businesses. This expansion yielded the building that you see today, and has allowed us to connect the many aspects of our programming together in logical and meaningful ways.